Admission Types

San Jacinto College recognizes the following types of admission:

  • High School Graduate
  • High School Equivalency Exam Graduate
  • College or University Transfer
  • Individual Approval
    • Conditional admission-extenuating circumstances
    • Dual credit/early admission
  • Provisional Admission

Note: Some programs of instruction may have special requirements in addition to those typically required for admission to the College.

High School Graduate

To be admitted as a high school graduate, students must submit an official high school transcript verifying the date of graduation. San Jacinto College accepts all public high school transcripts. The College accepts home school transcripts when signed by a parent or legal guardian and accompanied by a verification of home school completion. The Verification of Home School Completion form is online. The College also accepts private high school transcripts that are:

  • Listed on Texas Private School Accreditation Commission (TEPSAC)
  • Approved by the High School Evaluation and Review Team. Students may submit official transcripts for review to the Admissions Office.
  • Approved by one of the regional high school accreditation bodies listed below:

Regional High School Accreditation Bodies

Accrediting Agency High School Component
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools - Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSA-CESS) Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools
New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Higher Learning Association AdvancED
Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) AdvancED
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACSCASI) AdvancED
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) Accrediting Commission for Schools

High School Equivalency Exam Graduate

To be admitted as a High School Equivalency graduate, students must provide an official Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency (TxCHSE) indicating that they have passed all parts of the exam. Students are able to obtain the TxCHSE by passing all parts of the General Education Diploma (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) exams in Texas, and may contact the Admissions Office to add those results to their records. Students must obtain transcripts from out-of-state from the state of origin. Students who take a Spanish High School Equivalency Exam will be required to show proof of English language proficiency. If students have not passed all parts of the Exam, they will need to see the Individual Approval section. Students may refer to the Testing Department for more information on the TxCHSE.

College or University Transfer

Students may be admitted by transfer from another regionally accredited college or university or a college or university that has been approved by committee review if they are eligible to re-enroll at the last institution attended. A transfer student must submit an official transcript from each college or university previously attended.

A student who holds a degree (associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral) may submit only an official transcript from the school that awarded the highest degree and an official transcript with any course work taken after the degree was received. However, if students are applying for financial aid, they must submit all official transcripts. If students are using course work to satisfy course prerequisites, they must submit official transcripts to document all course work.

Transfer Academic Status

New transfer students will be admitted to San Jacinto College regardless of their academic status from the transferring institution. Academic standing will be calculated at the end of the first term.

Transfer students who have previously enrolled at and attended San Jacinto College will be re-admitted with their current academic standing. 

Individual Approval

Conditional Admission—Extenuating Circumstances

Students who are not high school graduates or the equivalent may be admitted on a conditional basis for one term. Continuing enrollment is dependent upon meeting the following requirements:

  1. Students must seek unconditional admission through one of the following means:
    1. Enroll in appropriate college preparatory courses;
    2. Take and pass all sections of the GED or High School Equivalency Test (HiSET); or
    3. Complete high school graduation requirements.
  2. Must maintain good academic standing for continued enrollment. Students may refer to the Probation and Suspension Table for more information.

Provisional Admission

A student who is not a high school graduate or the equivalent and over the age of 18 may be provisionally admitted under one of the following conditions:

  1. A student has test scores in reading, writing, and math at a level 6 or higher; or
  2. A student has a grade of D or higher in at least six college level credit hours. College level does not include developmental or CPD courses.

Students placed under Provisional Admission should note the following circumstances regarding their admission:

  1. This is an unconditional admission status.
  2. Students are eligible for graduation from most programs.
  3. Students are not eligible for financial aid.
  4. Students are not required to complete a high school equivalency test.