In voluntarily enrolling at the College, students have the responsibility to comply with all state and federal laws and college regulations and policies governing student conduct and academic affairs. Students assume responsibility for their behavior and acknowledge and share the following responsibilities:
- Students must recognize that the Board of Trustees is the policy making authority for the operation of the San Jacinto Community College District. The Board delegates to the College administration the authority to implement Board policy through procedures, regulations, guidelines and handbooks.
- Students must understand that while education is a shared activity, the ultimate responsibility for learning rests with the student.
- Students are responsible, collectively and individually, for allowing other students to continue their pursuit of education. Students must refrain from interfering with the rights of other students in their educational pursuits or with employees in the exercise of their duties.
- The right to disagree is well established. However, students must make sure that disagreement is factual and is presented with respect for those with whom they are disagreeing, including faculty, staff, administration, other students and campus visitors. When approaching the administration about any matter, students must go through established channels of communication and authority.
- Students have a responsibility to comply with copyright law and to educate themselves regarding copyright infringement, peer-to-peer file sharing and penalties for violations. For information and resources, please visit http://www.sanjac.edu/policy-vi-k-policy-regarding-appropriate-use-copyrighted-materials.
- Students must comply with the policies, rules, regulations and generally accepted practices of the College currently in effect or as they may be amended. All policies, rules, regulations, and practices are subject to amendment at any time during the student’s enrollment.
- Students also have the responsibility to comply with all state and federal laws and regulations governing their participation in higher education. Such regulations and laws as may exist or that may be subsequently enacted and adopted shall have precedence over the provisions of this document of student rights.