Construction Management Industrial Project Management Specialty Certificate of Technology
Were you born with a take-charge attitude and a passion for building? Are you a natural-born leader with an interest in industrial construction? Are you working with your tools in industrial and want to get on track to a salaried job with a high pay ceiling? If so, then a career in industrial project management may be the right path for you.
Are you currently working in industrial construction management as a foreman or superintendent and find your pathway to promotion blocked by the lack of a degree? This may be the place for you to earn the credential you need.
The San Jacinto College Construction Management Industrial Project Management Specialty program:
- Is designed to prepare graduates entering in the industrial sector to become successful in project management;
- Teaches students the skills needed to become successful team members and leaders;
- Equips students to make a positive contribution from day one in any of the junior construction management jobs available to recent graduates;
- Helps students learn to participate in the conceptual development and organization of a construction project, cost scheduling, estimating, scheduling, and the implementation of the project; and
- Offers courses covering industrial safety, field engineering, industrial blueprint reading, industrial scheduling, industrial estimating and cost control, industrial project execution, construction management, methods, and materials (steel, concrete, soil, and timber), and contracts.
Graduates of San Jacinto College’s Construction Management Industrial Project Management Specialty program have the opportunity to begin working as junior members of the management team. Some of our graduates, who are already in management, will start higher. The junior members often start with assignments such as:
- Assistant project managers,
- Assistant superintendents,
- Contract administrators,
- Cost engineers,
- Field engineers,
- Field schedulers, and
- Safety technicians.
Graduates will have the opportunity to earn promotions as quickly as their abilities permit to positions of:
- Construction managers,
- Project engineers,
- Project managers, and
As Houston continues to grow, the construction management job outlook remains positive. The Gulf Coast area is expected to add an estimated 1,970 construction manager positions annually through 2022.1
Construction manager median salary: $91,986 per year 1
1 Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2018.
For more information, students may contact 281-998-6150, x7765.
The purpose of the Construction Management Industrial Project Management Specialty program is to prepare graduates in the field of industrial project and construction management.
We have several objectives for our graduates:
- Be productive from day one in an entry-level management assignment;
- Have a broad understanding of how construction works so that they can advance as quickly as their abilities permit in the field of construction management in the sector of their choice;
- Know how to learn on their own so that they can keep up in a rapidly changing field during their careers;
- Learn how to think critically so computer technology will not easily replace them; and
- Provide them with pathways to continue their education if a higher degree is needed for advancement.
The program also allows students to earn the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 30-hour certificate.
Plan of Study
|CNBT 1210||Basic Construction Safety||2|
|CNBT 1311||Construction Methods & Materials I||3|
|CNBT 2335||Computer-Aided Construction Scheduling||3|
|CNBT 2342||Construction Management I||3|
|CNBT 1346||Construction Estimating I||3|
|CNBT 2471||Equipment, Piping and Materials||4|
|CNBT 2472||Industrial Project Execution||4|
|CNBT 2315||Construction Specifications and Contracts||3|
|CNBT 1372||Industrial Field Engineering||3|
|CNBT 2310||Commercial/Industrial Blueprint Reading||3|
|CNBT 2266||Practicum-Construction Technology||2|
|CNBT 2344||Construction Management II||3|
Capstone Experience: CNBT 2266 Practicum-Construction Technology